I love coconut!
Let me clarify: I’m not such a fan of coconut in things like pies, cakes or Almond Joy bars. I prefer my coconut more savory, like in Thai food, or in drinks. I love coconut water, and rich soups made with coconut milk.
Several months ago, I started using coconut oil. I use it in my cooking and baking, and sometimes I even just mix a little bit into my oatmeal. It’s a beautiful cooking oil, lending a faint, delicate coconut flavor that is just heavenly in fish, chicken and vegetable dishes.
The best thing about coconut oil, in my opinion, is that its uses extend far beyond the kitchen. Did you know that you can use coconut oil on your skin, your lips, and even your baby’s bottom!? 😯 Yup, that’s right. Coconut oil is a 100% natural, extremely effective way to combat your baby’s red tush, and, unlike conventional diaper creams, it’s safe to use with cloth diapers! (I recommend keeping a separate jar in baby’s room, though. 😉 )
So, I was really excited when Tropical Traditions sent me some of their Gold Label virgin coconut oil to sample!
The first thing I did was head over to their free coconut recipes blog for ideas on how to use it. There were so many recipes I didn’t know where to start! So, I started with Hot Cocoa! (It is January, after all.)
I’m still experimenting, so I’ll be sending some more recipes your way soon…
I’m not going to throw a bunch of health claims at you, because you know how that goes: research is pretty subjective, and no definitive health claims can be made about a food without upsetting the FDA. But here are a few things I DO know about TT virgin coconut oil:
- It’s made by family farmers, using good manufacturing practices benefiting rural families in the Philippines.
- It’s certified organic under strict USDA standards, with no chemicals or GMOs.
- It contains lauric acid, a nutrient found in breastmilk that supports the body’s immune system.
- It tastes wonderful, and leaves my baby’s bottom soft, soothed and smelling super coconutty! 🙂
If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of virgin coconut oil along with recipes and more, you can acquire a free copy of the Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil book by taking part in their referral program! Click here for details, then choose “Referred by a Friend” and enter user ID 6878693 for your free book! Contact their customer service department for assistance, if needed.
If you use coconut oil, or even if you’re just intrigued by its many uses, I have fun news! Tropical Traditions has offered me one 16-ounce jar of their Gold Label virgin coconut oil to give away to one lucky reader! 😀
And, this one is open to both US and Canada! 🙂
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED***
Visit Tropical Traditions and leave a comment below telling me something you learned about coconuts, coconut oil, the company itself, or any of its products! Easy as pie!
1. Sign up for the Tropical Traditions newsletter. You’ll be first to find out about free product specials, discounts, news and new recipes! (2 entries – leave 2 comments for this one!)
2. Follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter @TropTraditions (1 entry. Include your Twitter handle.)
3. Tweet: (1 entry per day. Leave one comment per tweet, including a link to each unique tweet.) Here’s a sample tweet you can use:
I entered to win @TropTraditions Gold Label virgin COCONUT OIL! Enter now @ABCGP http://wp.me/pTRQh-Bp Ends 2/16 #giveaway
Entry period is open until 8 pm on February 16, 2011. I will choose a winner via Random.org after entries close, and winner will be notified via email. Winner will have 72 hours to respond and claim their prize, or a new winner will be chosen. This giveaway is open to residents of US and Canada.
**UPDATE! My winner is comment #33! Congrats Nicole! Check your email…