This slow cooker dessert recipe has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SweetenTheSeason #CollectiveBias
You can tell I’m excited about a recipe when the ingredients never even make it to the pantry. They come home from the store, out of the bag, and go right into action. In this case, that means my kitchen BFF: the slow cooker.
This week, I had the pleasure of developing a recipe using ingredients from Kraft. (I know, twist my arm…)Since we all know that chocolate is my middle name, I thought this might be the perfect opportunity to bust out the slow cooker for something warm, rich, delicious…and SO easy.
The Easy Ingredients:
- BAKER’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar
- BAKER’S White Chocolate Baking Bar
- JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding – 5.9oz.
Oh, yes. It’s chocolate pudding, under dark chocolate bread pudding. And on top? Real whipped cream and chopped white chocolate. The texture is decadent, the flavor is rich, and a small portion goes a long way. I started with ours in a pretty glass mug, but you could easily serve this in ramekins and get more servings, especially if you’re serving it after a big holiday meal.
Start with a loaf of bread. This is one of the few times I suggest white bread, and you can’t fail with a chewy French bread or rich brioche. Cut it into bite sized cubes and toss it in the slow cooker.
Chopped semisweet chocolate is truly the key ingredient in this recipe, and the Baker’s semisweet chocolate bar is just right at 56% all natural cacao.
A quick egg mixture with sugar, half and half and vanilla is the tie that binds the whole pudding together into a warm, chocolatey puff.
A little under 2 hours and dessert is ready. If you need to occupy your family or friends while you wait, have them chop the white chocolate bar, whip the cream and mix up everyone’s favorite Jell-O chocolate pudding according to package directions. Although those will probably take about 10 minutes total, so go – Play a game. Put on a movie. Take a walk.
It’s not like you have to watch the stove – you’re using the slow cooker! Don’t you love that?
And after that walk? Warm up with comfort food at its best! No offense to coffee or cocoa, but this is what I consider a true hug in a mug.
- 4 oz. Baker's semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups stale French bread or brioche bread
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 5.9 oz box Jell-O chocolate pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 oz. Baker's white chocolate baking bar, chopped (half bar)
- Spray the inside of a small to medium slow cooker with non-stick spray. Add half of bread cubes; cover with ½ of semisweet chocolate. Add the rest of bread cubes; top with remaining semisweet chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until smooth. Which is half and half and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread and chocolate in crock pot. Stir gently and pack bread down slightly to moisten.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Do not lift lid.
- While pudding is cooking, mix Jell-O pudding according to package directions. Whip heavy whipping cream with a hand mixer using whisk attachment until soft peaks form when whisks are pulled upward. (Do not overmix.) Layer pudding in 6 cups; top each with bread pudding, then whipped cream and a generous sprinkle of white chocolate shavings. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.
Hit the Holiday Bake Center
Whatever holiday recipes you’re planning to make, you’ll find all the ingredients at great low prices at the Holiday Bake Center at Walmart…
Just look at that selection! Is there any better holiday helper than one-stop shopping?