I participated in Mom Blog Tour at the Summer Fancy Food Show on behalf of Wendy’s Bloggers and received McCann’s Irish Oatmeal® products to facilitate our review and Mozzarella-stuffed Meatballs recipe. All opinions are my own. #MomBlogTourFF
Nearly every single day since we’ve been married, my husband has started his day with a bowl of oats. Always with almond milk, always with cranberries, always with lots of walnuts. I don’t really blame him, because a bowl of oats is a great, hearty way to start the day. So imagine my excitement when I found out that McCann’s Irish Oatmeal® would be meeting with my team as a sponsor of the Mom Blog Tour. What a perfect fit! Learning about brands that are dedicated to outstanding quality is the main reason I blog, and developing a recipe to showcase these beautiful Irish oats was a challenge I was ready to meet. After all, McCann’s Irish Oatmeal is a pantry staple that goes from breakfast to…Italian night! That’s right – we made hearty, saucy, savory Mozzarella-stuffed Meatballs with steel cut oats (and lots of spinach, too.)
Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs (made with steel cut oats!)
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped fine
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 fresh mozzarella balls (Ciliegine or Bocconcini)
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce, jarred or homemade
- Shredded Parmesan or mozzarella for garnishing, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, break up beef. With either your hands or a paddle attachment, add egg, mix to combine. Add oats, spinach, basil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Begin shaping beef mixture into small, flat circles, placing a mozzarella ball in the center of each. Wrap beef up around each mozzarella ball, rolling to seal into a meatball shape. Place meatballs in a non-stick or foil lined baking pan. Bake, covered, approx 20 minutes. Remove foil or lid, cover with sauce and additional cheese, if desired, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted. Garnish with shredded Parmesa.
- Alternate cooking method: Meatballs can be simmered in sauce on top of the stove in a skillet or pot. Be careful not to stir them around too much, as it's easy for them to break and for cheese to escape.
Why McCann’s Irish Oatmeal?
For more than 150 years, McCann’s Irish Oatmeal has been warming the hearts (and bellies) of oatmeal lovers. Their 100% whole grain Irish steel-cut oats are minimally processed and nothing artificial is added, so all you get is rich, nutty Irish oat taste with that distinctly chewy steel-cut bite.
In addition to standard breakfast recipes, they’re great for baking, breading, and just about anywhere you want to add authentic Irish oat flavor and the benefit of added fiber (like meatballs!)
But that’s not all. McCann’s Irish Oatmeal offers a full line of products to appeal to any oat lover, from quick cooking rolled oats to microwaveable oatmeal cups that you can take on the go. In flavors like Vanilla Honey and Apple Cinnamon, these have been a delicious way for me to bring an easy breakfast to the office and feel great about it. Plus, they smell soooo good…
From the new product showcase at the 2016 New York Fancy Food Show:
Avoiding GMO ingredients is really important to my family, and research shows that the demand for non-GMO products is continuing to rise. McCann’s Irish Oatmeal is proud to announce it has earned it’s first certification from the Non-GMO project for three of its core products:
- Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal in the 28oz. Tin
- Quick & Easy Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal in the 24oz. canister
- Quick Cooking Rolled Oats in the 16oz. box
Independent verification is an important best practice for the avoidance of GMOs, but McCann’s Irish Oatmeal is dedicated to best practices in other areas, too. From small-farm sourcing to stringent inspections, the folks at McCann’s Irish Oatmeal strive to make every step of their process worthy of consumer confidence. They certainly have gained mine! My pantry is where my heart is, and I love being able to support companies that are truly devoted to bringing a better product to our market. Welcome to the regular rotation, yummy Irish oats!
After all, the ingredients you eat most frequently are the ones that matter most, right?
PIN IT FOR LATER:
Get social with McCann’s Irish Oatmeal!
Connect online and learn more about why Irish oats are different:
For more information on how to purchase McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal® online, click here.
Enter to Win!
Our friends at McCann’s Irish Oats have offered one lucky reader the same delivery of goodies that our team received! (MSRP $63)
Winner will receive:
- power pack on-the-go phone charger
- Non-GMO Steel Cut Oats in traditional 28 oz. tin
- Quick & Easy Steel Cut Oats
- Gluten-free Oats
- Microwaveable Oatmeal Cups
- Enter using the easy Rafflecopter form below. One winner per household, email address, or home address. If you have won this prize on another blog you are ineligible to win again. Winner must have a U.S.-based address to receive the prize.