Today’s guest post on holiday style is brought to you by Zulily, and I’m thrilled to feature them. My entire family relies on zulily for the best deals on name-brand clothing, trendy shoes, holiday gifts and so much more. (If you follow me on social media, you probably already know that I love to share zulily deals!)
Every time a Zulily email pops up in my inbox, you can bet I’m going to open it to find the best deals on the brands I already love (Hello, Clarks, Green Toys, Star Wars...!) This season, I’ve already scored a pair of leather riding boots for myself and a bunch of holiday gifts for the kids. I wouldn’t recommend Zulily if I didn’t shop with them myself, and I stand behind every item I’ve ever purchased. Always great style, always great quality, always great prices.
And now, great holiday fashion tips straight from Zulily’s Trend Expert, Claire Magruder.
As zulily’s trend and fashion expert, Claire constantly has her eye on what’s next. Whether it’s the best new look for an upcoming event, that necklace you just have to have, or a bigger picture look at this season’s trends, Claire is our go-to for fashion and style advice.
Claire has a background in styling and design. She has worked on such television series and feature films as Boardwalk Empire, The Big C, The Today Show, The Martha Stewart Show, Winter’s Tale, and more. Claire is the founder and author of the blog, That Pleasant Surprise, which focuses on finding the beauty in our everyday lives.
Holiday Party Style Tips
By Claire MaGruder, zulily’s Trend Expert
- If you’re running straight from work to a festive event, make it easy on yourself and pack essentials into your tote that will glitz up your everyday office attire. All you need is some serious heels, a sparkly clutch, statement earrings, and a bright glossy red lip. These four little items can be added to any outfit for an easy update before heading out for the night.
- Apple Red is the color of the moment, and perfect for holiday looks. I love it paired with cream, black, and for something different, very pale pink. It’s so easy to turn to your basic black evening routine that we’re all accustomed to seeing, but step outside the box this year and try something new! I guarantee you’ll stand out in the crowd at any event.
- White Blazers are my new go to basic this time of year. They look amazing over pale pastels or tones of grey, or paired with your favorite dark denim.
- Go sequin crazy! I’m in love with all the great metallic sequined looks out there right now, especially in a knee length skirt, either A-Line or Pencil. Wear these are with a soft formfitting white sweater, strappy gold heels, and a pink lip. So feminine and festive!
- It doesn’t always have to be a dressy dress! If you’re more of a casual girl, go with your favorite dark skinny jeans and a couple of easy additions. Nice heels do the trick every time, along with a peplum tunic tank, some sparkly jewelry, and you’re good to go.
- If you’re looking to go easy on the wallet, spin your favorite LBD in a new direction with some super fun tights. My favorites right now are sheer black with a lace pattern, or any tights with embellishments such as pearls or little mini rhinestones. If you go with an all black look, try a close toed heel in a rich jewel tone such as Forest Green or Cranberry.
- Make sure to plan ahead for events that might take place outdoors. I’ve had more than one invite this year to meet friends at a pumpkin patch, or to stroll down candy cane lane and admire over the top holiday lights. Think layers! Plaid shirts with a statement necklace and skinny jeans looks great indoors beforehand. Add on a pretty puffy vest and riding boots, and you’ll be set for the festivities!
- Pleats are such a great trend right now. Pick up a skirt with swingy folds, whether it’s a maxi or ends at the knees, you really can’t go wrong. Since there’s a lot going on with this look, I tend to pair them with a simple black form fitting top, tucked into the skirt for polish.
- Try a little over the knee boot action this year. They can be a bit intimidating, so if you’re giving it a first go, look for a flat boot, and wear them over your best dark skinny jeans. I also love them paired with a 70’s style long sleeve printed dress that hits right above the boot. Definitely go for a suede version over leather, as the matte finish tones the look down a bit while staying right on trend.
As someone who likes a little sparkle and texture but also loves to rock some jeans and boots, I think Claire is spot on! What do you think? I hope you’ll go check out all the great prices at zulily and score some fantastic holiday deals throughout the season. There’s something special every day at zulily!