I am a 2016 SeaPak Ambassador and received compensation. All opinions are my own. | Summer’s here, and lighter dinners are starting to pop up on tables everywhere. In our house, grilled veggies are the star of the plate whenever possible because they just have a fresh, summery flavor you can’t get without cooking in flip flops over a flame. (And yes, I really believe the flip flops make a difference.) But what about protein? It’s only June and I’m already a little bit over chicken and burgers. What to do? Switch it up with easy grilled shrimp from SeaPak served over a cold Citrus Tarragon Brussels Sprout Slaw. Different? Yes, and so delicious!
- 1 package SeaPak Shrimp and Veggie Grillers
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups shredded raw Brussels sprouts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 small orange, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- fine salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon, plus more for sprinkling, if desired
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in an iron skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Sear Brussels sprouts just until crisp-tender (so they retain a little crunch.) Refrigerate Brussels sprouts.
- For dressing: Using a whisk or blender, combine remaining olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, orange juice, orange zest, dijon mustard, salt and pepper until emulsified.
- Pour dressing over Brussels sprouts, add tarragon leaves, and stir to combine. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Prepare shrimp according to package directions. Serve hot shrimp over a bed of slaw.
I don’t buy a lot of frozen seafood, because we often find that the thick coatings and heavy flavors are a bit much for us. But now, SeaPak has a new line of Lighthouse Selections, designed to be better for you. The Shrimp and Veggie Grillers that we used for this recipe are gluten-free, pack 11 grams of protein per serving, and come with a seasoning pack so you can choose how much to add. All you have to do is combine the tender shrimp, colorful vegetables and savory seasoning in the convenient foil pouch, shake, then grill or bake.
You can feel good about buying SeaPak not only for its better-for-you benefits, but also the company’s commitment to sustainable sourcing. We all want to enjoy seafood and the environment for generations to come, so it only makes sense to support the companies that are doing it right, right?
Here’s a tip: Grab extra SeaPak Lighthouse Selections in the frozen section at Wegmans and you’ll always be ready for a quick summer meal. (I often get lost browsing in their frozen selection. They always have my must-haves along with new and upcoming brands.) <–grocery nerd.
Flavors of Summer
Bright citrus zest and fresh tarragon mix with tangy mustard for a dressing that adds tons of sunny summer flavor in minutes. And, chopping the tarragon gives me a chance to use my new herb scissors. Aren’t they SO cool?
Brussels Sprout Slaw Secret
The real secret to making a Brussels Sprout slaw that’s summer-perfect is shredding the sprouts (thick or thin, depending on your taste) then charring them ever-so-slightly in a skillet or frying pan ahead of time. The flavor gets so much better! Get the pan and oil nice and hot (I like to use cast iron) and sear those sprouts just until the edges begin to caramelize and char. Not too much, though. You want them to retain that nice, bright green color so they stay crisp, not mushy. Let them cool until they stop steaming, then put them in the fridge.
If you’re planning ahead, toss your Brussels sprout slaw with the dressing before you refrigerate so the flavors can mingle a little more. Then, all you’ll need to do at dinnertime is pop your SeaPak Shrimp and Veggie Grillers into the oven, then serve them over a comfy bed of greens.
Make-ahead Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Grilled Shrimp from SeaPak – It’s an easy, satisfying summer meal that’s guilt-free and flavor-full!
Wegmans makes it easy to grab all the ingredients you need in one trip. (You might even find the Brussels sprouts already shredded!)
Like the recipe? Pin it for later!
Go Coastal! Get social with SeaPak: