An unexpected perk of our recent HelloFresh review? New recipe inspiration! One recipe that came with our shipment was a paella made with chicken and chorizo. I really love the ease of one-pot meals, and my kids raved about it, so I’ve been riffing on the easy rice skillet ever since. I think I’ve finally perfected it for our family’s tastes – a 30-minute meal that’s easy and affordable with lots of fresh spinach, spicy sausage and tangy tomato flavor.
Chorizo and Sun-Dried Tomato Rice Skillet
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 large sun-dried tomatoes, cut into thin strips
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 32 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
- cracked pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (non-stick or cast iron.) Cut casings from chorizo and crumble sausage into pan, breaking up into small pieces. Add onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until chorizo is browned and onion is translucent.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes; stir into mixture. Add chopped spinach; stir to mix. Add rice and ¾ of chicken broth, stir so rice is completely mixed in. Cover and allow to simmer over medium heat for 10–15 minutes without stirring. Add the rest of the broth and cook for another 15 minutes or until rice is tender. (If rice looks dry at any point, add a little bit of water or extra broth to moisten.)
- Serve with cracked pepper.
I’m still working on the perfect paella-style crisp on the bottom (that’s why we don’t stir during the simmer process.) But even when it comes out a little fluffier, the flavor in this recipe is still spot-on.
I’m telling you, there’s nothing in my kitchen that I love more than my cast iron skillet. And yes, you can use it on a glass-top electric stove!