This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/Rubbermaid®.
As much as I sing the praises of all things veggie, I have to confess a little something. I’m not that into lettuce. Maybe because it gets droopy so fast when I pack my lunch? I love a good salad, but I prefer a base that’s a little more hearty. Chopped cabbage, thinly sliced carrots, and above all, shredded Brussels sprouts. When fall hits, I love sprouts just about any way I can get them. Roasted, marinated, sauteed, and even raw – like in the Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad I’ve been taking to work for lunch. You can practically feel the leaves dropping when you open the container because the whole thing just screams FALL. With a cinnamon-speckled apple cider vinaigrette and buttery toasted maple-glazed pecans, this one is worthy of your Thanksgiving table but easy enough to pull off on a weeknight.
Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad with Apple Cinnamon Vinaigrette
Since Brussels sprouts are so substantial, they don’t get droopy if you dress them ahead of time, but it’s pretty handy to have a container that will keep your salad components separate until you’re ready to toss them together. The new Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE storage container does just that, making it a must have for your lunchbox, road trips, family travel, and just about anywhere you might want to be prepared with snacks or a light meal. Plus, it’s 100% leaf-proof (*not applicable to internal compartments created by inserts.)
Check out those latches!
See? Each ingredient is nice and neat in its own compartment. There’s something so organized about those dividers and insert trays that does my Type A heart good. Is it possible that this little meal prep container just might change my mind about lettuce? Fresh and separated = no droop!
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- dash cinnamon
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon oil or butter
- 1.5 pounds fresh Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cut into slices or matchsticks
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- To make vinaigrette:
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter and mix with maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon in a small dish. Toss pecans with butter mixture and spread out in a thin layer on a foil-lined baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake until warm, fragrant and caramelized, about 10–15 minutes. (Watch closely to avoid burning.)
- In the meantime, heat a drizzle of butter or olive oil in a small pan over low heat. Lightly fry shallot until it begins to brown and crisp, watching closely, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To make vinaigrette:
- Combine all listed vinaigrette ingredients in a jar or pitcher. Whisk thoroughly to combine, tasting to tweak seasoning as you go.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, apples and cranberries in a large bowl. Toss with ½ of vinaigrette. Top with maple pecans. Serve with remaining vinaigrette so more can be added, if desired.
I’m not even kidding when I tell you that this quick and easy Apple Cinnamon Vinaigrette is a wee bit life-changing. As much of a hot mess as I am on most days, with my super seasonal homemade vinaigrette in my perfectly portioned Rubbermaid dressing container, I felt like I just might have my act together for a minute. The added bonus: The ultra-durable “Tritan” material Rubbermaid uses won’t get stained or smell vinaigrette-y the way other food storage containers might.
A BPA-free food storage container that I can truly meal prep in (because it’s safe for freezer, dishwasher and microwave) really just makes life easier. One container that does it all means no more mystery mix-and-match lids missing their mates in my cabinet! I’m streamlining lunch, and the same goes for my kitchen organization. It’s a freedom I never thought I’d know. (Seriously, those random lids…grr…)
And a fresh fall Brussels Sprout salad to boot. Life is good.
Like it? Pin it! Then enter to WIN it below!
Go ahead and buy three Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE containers like I did. The salad container will keep your lunch in check, and the snack set will handle your chips and hummus or fruit and yogurt. Pack ’em and stack ’em in the fridge all at once and you’ll save time all week. Plus, you’ll probably save money. I know I am! No soggy salads, and better ingredients cost less when I bring them from home. Honestly, I’m more excited about lunch than I’ve been in a while.
Enter to Win!
One lucky winner will win a Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE Salad & Snack Set like the one pictured above. Enter using the easy Rafflecopter form below. US only, 18 and above. Ends 9/29/17.