This post about the Best Stuff on Earth and roasted chickpea recipe have been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #teastraightup #CollectiveBias
Have I mentioned that I’ve gotten back into hitting the gym at least 4 times a week? Have I also mentioned that since I started spinning again, I’m hungry ALL. THE. TIME.? It’s unreal how much I want to snack these days, and with a donut shop right across the street from the gym, I could be in serious trouble if I don’t plan ahead.
But, as we all know, busy days don’t leave a lot of time for making homemade snacks and drinks. Like most of you, I’m on the go constantly, but I’m still trying to plan ahead and make sure I have something to calm my hunger and my sweet tooth before I hit up the donuts (especially while traveling or commuting to work!)
Real, natural, “straight up” ingredients are my highest priority when it comes to food choices, and today’s recipe fits the bill. This roasted chickpea recipe has the unexpected combo of cinnamon and curry to keep things interesting and full of flavor.
The honey caramelizes around each crunchy chickpea, giving them a coating that leaves honey-roasted peanuts in the dust.
And lightly toasted coconut chips add just the right amount of texture and sweetness. (You can probably buy raw ones in bulk at your local grocery store.)
I make these in small batches and keep them in jars that hold about 2 portable servings, but the batch is easily doubled or tripled if you have kids who like to snack, too.
They’re easily poppable, but also great in tomato or butternut squash soup, if you’re more in the mood for lunch.
Find the full recipe down at the bottom of this post.
And speaking of real, natural ingredients and just the right amount of sweetness, I’ve been making sure to pack along a bottle of new Snapple® Straight Up™ Tea. Between working out, breastfeeding and taking a daily blood pressure diuretic, I’m ALWAYS dehydrated, but it’s very, very difficult to find something to drink on the go that doesn’t contain corn syrup or dyes. (Besides water, because sometimes you just need options.)
So I’m sending a huge hug over to the folks at Snapple for providing fresh-brewed tea flavor sweetened with real sugar. And if you’re not into the sweetness, Snapple® Straight Up™ Tea comes in three varieties: Sweet, Sorta Sweet and Unsweetened, so you can find your own sweet spot.
If I’m really in the mood to treat myself, I love the Sweet Tea with a handful of my chickpeas. Real ingredients, real flavor, real yummy!
- 1 13.4 oz. can or container of cooked chickpeas
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- sprinkle of salt
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ½ cup coconut chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse chickpeas to remove starch and remove skins, if desired. Dry chickpeas with a paper towel.
- Mix olive oil, cinnamon, curry powder and sugar in a bowl. Toss in chickpeas and mix until well-coated.
- Spread chickpeas out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment.
- Bake chickpeas until golden brown, dry and no longer soft inside (approx. 30-40 minutes.)
- Remove chickpeas from heat and allow to cool for 5–10 minutes.
- Pour honey into a bowl, add warm chickpeas and toss until coated. Again, spread out in a single layer on one side of a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle coconut chips on the other side of sheet.
- Place chickpeas and coconut chips back into over for about 5 minutes until coconut is lightly toasted, checking frequently. (This is the step that will determine how sticky your chickpeas are. If you want them less sticky and more crunchy, roast them alone for a few minutes before putting in the coconut as the chips will burn quickly.)
- Remove from oven and allow chickpeas to dry.
- For best flavor, store in an airtight container at room temp.
The only thing that could improve this kind of snacking moment is the ultimate natural ingredient: a few rays of pure sunshine!
Today, I lucked out. Excuse me while I go enjoy it!
See more reasons to love Snapple® Straight Up™ Tea on the Snapple® Straight Up™ Tea social hub where you can also check availability at your local Walmart and download a coupon to save on your Snapple® Straight Up™ Tea purchase. Just look for the single-serve beverage aisle!
More popular recipes you might like:
How do you snack on busy days? Do you bring snacks from home, or grab them on-the-go?