Disclosure in accordance with the FTC: I wrote this post as part of a compensated partnership with Best Buy.
Is that…Could it be?! The SUN!?
Yes, it looks like spring is finally springing. ‘sabout time, don’t you think?
I, for one, am totally over winter. I’m ready to rip my house apart, cleaning and decluttering. And, since I have a newborn in the house, I’m especially concerned about the quality of our air.
The EPA says that in the average home, levels of organic pollutants are two to five times higher than outdoors¹ and those pollutants can lead to things like allergies, throat irritation, headaches, asthma and even cancer. Since so many of us spend a great deal of our time indoors, that’s pretty scary. The great news is that there are lots of things you can do to improve the quality of the air in your home!
5 Steps Toward Cleaner Air at Home
1. Eliminate chemicals from your home whenever possible. From hair and nail products to cleaners to the paint on your walls, the products you choose can really junk up your air. Look for choices that contain few to no toxic chemicals that will linger. When choosing paint, look for “low-VOC” or “zero-VOC” options. Let items like new furniture, bedding, or shower curtain liners off-gas some of their VOCs outside before bringing them into your home.
2. Perform regular maintenance. This includes cleaning the places where dust, allergens and/or moisture can collect, like air conditioners, dehumidifiers, heat ducts, exhaust fans and anything with a filter. These things all work to make your air better, but only with proper upkeep.
3. Welcome plants indoors! “In the late ’80s, NASA and the Associated Landscape Contractors of America studied houseplants as a way to purify the air in space facilities. They found several plants that filter out common volatile organic compounds (VOCs).”² Some of the most beneficial plants include: aloe, spider plants, gerbera daisies, ficus and English ivy.
4. Give carpet the heave-ho. Most new carpet is laden with toxic chemicals that will off-gas in your home for a long time, and older carpet holds on to tons of pollutants. You’re better off without it.
5. Utilize an air purifier to eliminate the airborne particles in your home. Air purifiers can go far in helping to clean the air your family breathes, removing allergens and airborne particles easily and quietly. Best Buy can help with a variety of air purifiers to help rid your home of germs, allergens, odor and humidity. To find the right one for your home, visit their Air Purification page.
BONUS: Right now, during the Best Buy Friends and Family Event, you can save 20% on all air purification products through 4/15! The coupon is available to print here. In-store only.
*Disclosure: The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.