This post about The Color Run and discounted tickets was brought to you by the folks at The Color Run who sponsored my participation in The Happiest 5K on the Planet!
Last Saturday, I participated in The Color Run! As I suspected, there was a lot of WOOOOOO! going on. I’ve never seen so many colors, bubbles or smiles in my life!
You might be dropping by after searching for what to bring to The Color Run, or trying to find out what the event is all about. Well, you’re in luck! Now that I’m a seasoned Color Runner, I thought I’d share a few helpful tips to help you prepare for your turn in those clouds of colored powder.
9 Tips for Color Runners
1. You will wait in line. If you’re used to running 5Ks, you’re probably used to running at the start time. Not likely at The Color Run. Our race had thousands upon thousands of runners, and after we all lined up, they let us run in 10-minute waves. But not to worry – there was entertainment, bubble machines, music, giveaways, and tons of things to keep us busy and amped for the run. I think it even increased the anticipation!
2. You’re going to want to take photos of everything! Everywhere you look is a photo opp, so don’t be afraid to take your camera phone! Just invest in something like this waterproof phone case. The friend I ran with had one, and her photos came out great. In fact, she took the awesome color-throw shot at the bottom of the post. And not a speck of color got on her phone. (Mine was in a ziploc bag and didn’t fare so well.)
3. No worries about the potty. There were about 100 of them at Hershey. Seriously – 100. NO LINES. And pedal-operated sinks so you could actually watch your hands!
4. At our race, there was food for sale. Like fair food. Crab cakes, fries, funnel cakes and some bangin’ smoothies.
5. The only negative I came away with for the entire experience was a bit of sinus irritation from the colored powder. I inhaled a ton of it, and I’d avoid that next time by tying a bandana around my neck bank-robber-style, so I could just pull it up or down over my nose. Note to self…
6. Sunglasses. Wear them. Your eyes will thank you.
7. Bring a cinch sak. Sling it over your side and onto your back while you run, then toss it if it gets too dirty (or maybe use it for camping or hiking or other dirty stuff.) They’re super cheap, and it will give you a place to keep your ID, cash or cards, phone and keys clean and safe.
8. I’ve heard some Color Runners say that the color doesn’t look like it does in the promo pics, and that you leave just looking brown and dirty. I beg to differ, folks! My friend got doused in the face with the first color, and she was bright blue the rest of the day! This is a totally lame photo of my face, but it really shows you what the color looked like about 5 hours after we ran. (And yes, it all comes off. Or at least most of it. ) And you might want to wait to take your hair down until you’re in the shower because AVALANCHE.
9. The Color Run is truly an event for everyone. Young, old, moms, dads, kids, runners, walkers…everyone. And whatever you do, DON’T miss the big dance party and color throw at the end! Here’s a glimpse of what that’s all about:
See!? You know you wanna do it!
I know you’re thinking about it, so don’t wait! Sign up and register at your local event today before it sells out! And here’s a coupon code to get you on your way!