5 Tips for Organizing a Small Home (featuring Ingenuity ChairMate)

babyphotoSmall house living. It’s definitely got its perks (lower heating costs!) and its problems (clutter!) Trying to fit my growing family into our tiny 2-bedroom house is an ongoing project for us, but we’re always looking for new ways to streamline and organize, especially with baby gear. Here are a few of the ideas that have worked for us:

5 Tips for Organizing a Small Home #ad

Think vertical. Maximize wall space with bookshelves, baskets, standing wall units, and built-in shelving wherever you can. Even hanging things  from the ceiling (like plants or art) can save space.

Look down under. Cabinets, benches, and beds all have one thing in common: wasted space underneath! Make the most of that valuable storage space with baskets that can hold winter weather gear, magazines, and all the other things that cause unwanted clutter.

Prioritize and pack it away. Edit your belongings down to the things you really use each season, and store the rest. A storage unit can be the answer if you don’t have additional space at home. (And if you haven’t used it in over a year, don’t store it! Just let it go.)

Pull double duty. Items that serve more than one purpose are the real keepers in a small home. For example, instead of a coffee table, look for an ottoman with a lift-off lid and storage area inside.

Think twice, baby. When a new baby is on the way, it may seem like you need everything. But we all learn quickly that many of the items we think we need just aren’t really necessary (and they take up tons of space!) When it comes to items you really do need, look for compact versions. One great example is the Ingenuity ChairMate High Chair, with all the features of a full-size high chair in a convenient, portable chair-top design.

Ingenuity™ ChairMate™ High Chair – Emerson™

• Stain resistant and machine washable fabrics make spills and stains easy to clean up.
  • Great adjustability: four height positions fit most table sizes
  • The Smart Level Tray™ remains level in all positions and adjusts positions to grow with baby.
  • EasyClean™ dishwasher-safe tray makes short work of messes.
  • Aqua blue handles on sides of seat make adjustments easy.
  • Built in drink holders.
  • Converts to a booster seats for bigger kids (Suitable for children from 4 months up to 50 lbs.)
  • Great for travel!

I couldn’t help but do a happy dance when I was able to put away our clunky high chair and fit our new Ingenuity chair right on top of one of our kitchen chairs.

Ingenuity ChairMate high chair

Our baby girl is just barely a year old and about 20 pounds, so you can see she’s still got plenty of room before we convert it to a booster for her.

Ingenuity ChairMate High Chair

This chair has all the features we look for in a high chair, but I have to admit that my favorite part is the easy adjustability. If a baby product is too complex, I usually just don’t bother. See that aqua/blue handle? Just pull it, and you can change the seat’s position. Easy and user-friendly, perfect for sleep-deprived moms. After all, I’d much rather fuss over my baby than fuss with her baby gear.

Compact Chair Top High ChairThe Ingenuity Chair Top High Chair in Emerson is available at Amazon.com and select retailers nationwide.

Connect with Ingenuity:

• Facebook • Twitter • Instagram • Pinterest.

What’s your best home organization tip?

1. says

I love the tips! We don’t have a *small* home, but we don’t have a big home either. And I don’t like clutter and mess. So staying organized is important to me also.

The tip about the baby stuff… YES!! Before we had Big Sis we thought we needed one of everything. Turns out, we don’t! We decluttered a bit before Little Man was born. But now, getting ready for #3, we are really decluttering and keeping only the things we *really do* use.

I’d love to have this chair top high chair! Talk abot a great space saver!! Thanks for the information about it!! :)
    Courtney @ Joy Of Momma Joyner recently posted…A Winter Wonderland Of Babies Event *GIVEAWAY*My Profile

• Wendy says

I agree, Courtney. We sure do learn a lot after the first one, don’t we? (And I’ve been seeing your posts about organizing. Good for you!)

• Wendy says

I do the same, but I like to either consign, sell or donate, and I often get overwhelmed trying to figure out which to do with each thing. I end up with boxes sitting around. NO MORE! By spring, I want them all gone!

2. says

Great tips! We have a small home and are definitely having to get creative with storage space. I love your tip to make use of wasted space like under the bed. I bet I have a ton more storage if I hunt around for unused spaces.
    Jen V recently posted…Valentine Candy BouquetMy Profile

3. Shauna says

We had one of those chairs and totally loved it. It was awesome to use at home and easy to take with us when traveling.

4. says

We don’t have a terribly small house, but somehow when you have a kid their stuff multiplies and makes it feel like you’re living in a shoebox! I try to keep ahead of clutter the best I can. I’ll pick a room once a month and go through with two bins. One is for items that don’t belong in that room and one for items that just don’t belong in our house, plus I’ll bring in a trash can for anything that needs tossed. Then I sell or donate the items we don’t need. And if there are baby items we want to keep, but he’s outgrown, I add those to the baby bin in the basement. It has really helped my sanity, because clutter makes me crazy :)
    Trish recently posted…Week in Review 2014 {#6}My Profile

5. says

This is such a brilliant idea. I never liked the clunky highchairs It always took up too much space. I wish I knew about this with when my toddler was a baby, it would have helped out with space in our already tiny place.
    Mommy2Jam recently posted…Undercover blessingsMy Profile

6. says

We have been living in an 850 Sq Ft apartment with a two year old, so I feel your pain (although, like you said, the heating bill is pretty sweet) We have the same style high chair for our daughter. It cuts down on space and she loves it. Which is great when you’re trying to get housework done and you need her to stay put. Good choice! Thanks for sharing!
    Theresa recently posted…Two Years LaterMy Profile

7. says

Great ideas! I used a similar chair, different brand for my third child and it definitely saved space. My little one felt like a big kid sitting at the table with the whole family. What a cute model! Visiting from SITSblogging.

8. says

Great tips. We moved to a smaller apartment recently, and it was a great occasion to get rid of all the things we actually never used. Also vertical storage is so important in the small place. We think of our apartment in the terms of a sailing boat. Every space needs to have a purpose and everything has to be practical.

Glad to find your blog through SITS comment marathon.
    frankaboutcroatia recently posted…Expat life: awesome things about living in IstriaMy Profile

9. says

Very good tips. I had to live in a very small space for 4 years and you’re right about keeping the stuff that you need and ditching the rest. Love the tip when you have a new baby although most people see new baby = new and bigger house when in fact you don’t really need more space for a child until they are 4.

webly recently posted…Collard Green Wrapped Tilapia RecipeMy Profile