I had a carrier for my first child, and I knew the benefits of babywearing but I really never did it. Maybe it was because my husband and I fought over who got to hold him all the time, or maybe we were just intimidated by our baby carrier, with all its straps and buckles. Whatever the reason, it worked out OK for us. But this time? This time is WAY different.
I kind of knew it would be, since I’d have to adjust to having a newborn along with an energetic 3-year-old. I’m also running a bigger household and no longer heading out to the office each day (it’s still weird to say it!) I spend all my waking–and even sleeping–hours with these kids, and once in a while, I just really need to get something done. Babywearing has been an absolute gift from the heavens this time, and I owe much of our peace these days to lillebaby!
I was given the opportunity to review the lillebaby COMPLETE in warm orange and cream, shown here. Without knowing much about the carrier beyond the good reviews I’d heard, I chose it based on color alone. I love the warm orange tone, and it looked like the perfect carrier for fall.
Well, once I actually got my hands on my new carrier, I realized that the color was only one of a million things to love. It’s sturdy, well made and comfortably padded, with great contours and shoulder straps that are thick enough for support, but not so thick that they get in the way or look too bulky.
Now, I could write you a book about everything this carrier offers…but lillebaby has done a fantastic job with their extremely thorough and user-friendly website. All the different carries, safety information, and features of the lillebaby COMPLETE are listed there, along with info on how to breastfeed while babywearing and other helpful tips. If you’re thinking of buying a lillebaby, I encourage you to check out lillebaby.com – I’m sure you’ll find every answer you could possibly need there.
But I will tell you about some of the features that we, personally, found very helpful and valuable when using our lillebaby COMPLETE.
What I Love:
1. Most importantly, I recommend this carrier because it truly is a complete solution for babywearing. It’s the only carrier you’ll need from infancy to toddlerhood, and your baby will be comfortable and safe in it (and you’ll be comfortable, too!) the entire time you’re using it. Right now we’re only using the front carry/face in position, but you can wear it on your back, hip or front with baby facing in, out or in the fetal position. All adjustments are quick and easy and you don’t need a degree in engineering to figure it all out. (Yay for easy!)
2. As parents, we’re always learning, and I definitely learned something new from lillebaby. There is a period of time when nearly all babies become too big for the infant insert (which puts them in the fetal position) while still being a bit too small to wrap their legs around a parent’s waist. This is known as the “babywearing gap” and usually falls between 3–6 months, depending on both baby and parents’ sizes and preferences. Lillebaby has this problem solved with their adjustable seat. The width adjusts to provide ergonomic positioning in every carrier setting. This feature is recommended by the Hip Dysplasia Institute because it allows baby’s legs to spread apart naturally, without being forced at all, reducing the risk of hip dysplasia and allowing healthy development during the high risk months (0–6).
3. The adjustable width seat could, in fact, save your babywearing experience altogether, since many babies express discomfort during the “babywearing gap”, leaving their parents to assume they just don’t like being in the carrier. When I read this, it was like a light came on. Who would ever be able to figure this out? I know I never would have thought of it without the help of the experts at lillebaby.
4. Comfort! There are countless comfort features found on the lillebaby COMPLETE, and I just don’t think other carriers can compare. From an optional lumbar support and padded straps to accessories like stirrups, lillebaby truly has comfort covered. (See all the comfort features here.) I can attest to this firsthand, since I wore my lillebaby with 17-lb Elliette from 9am to 5:30pm at MommyCon! We were both still smiling by the end of the day, and I had NO discomfort whatsoever.
5. The main reason I’m using our lillebaby COMPLETE nonstop? Ellie is just SO happy in it. I know that she’s safe and supported because the carrier holds her snugly and there’s no slipping or shifting, but I can tell that she feels secure, too. Nearly every single time I take her to the grocery store, Target, a random walk, anywhere, she lays her head down on my chest and falls asleep. It’s the best feeling ever. I can also nurse her in it very easily, especially with the attached sleeping hood that keeps her from getting distracted. Had I known it was possible walk through the grocery store nursing my baby with my hand free to push the cart, I’m sure I would have been doing a lot more babywearing with my first!
6. As a company, lillebaby wants the best for your baby in more ways than one. Learn more about their commitment to green practices and sustainability here. After all, someday this world is going to belong to these babies we’re carrying, right?
What would I change?
Ok, so a review isn’t a review without a few cons, right? Well, I’ll say this: I’d love a pocket! I really, really missed having a pocket for keys, cash, whatever, because I just don’t like to carry a purse while I’m babywearing. (Or at all, really.) So yeah. A pocket would put this thing over the top. And if I had it to do all over again, I might choose the more lightweight, breathable mesh lillebaby COMPLETE Airflow carrier for summer. But now that we’re headed into fall, this carrier isn’t leaving my side. I guarantee it!