It’s been years now since we’ve tried to focus on efforts on living a more eco-conscious life, and lots of changes have been made. They started out small, like recycling and using fewer chemicals, but then our commitment grew. We’ve since sold our home to buy an efficient home and more land for growing, and a little over a week ago I quit my job and the 135-mile per day commute that it required. At this point, it’s safe to say we’re pretty serious about greener living.
With all of that said, there are 2 things I have yet to replace from the old days, simply because I can’t find a suitable replacement. One is deodorant. The other: dishwasher tabs. So, when I was asked to give Cascade Platinum Pacs a try, I jumped.
As a blogger with a green focus, I often struggle with reviews. I never bring you information on a product I wouldn’t use myself, but that doesn’t mean that every product I use will carry an “eco” guarantee. I do the best I can, but I think it’s important to explain that I think different products help us in different ways in our journey toward eco-friendliness. Sometimes, products that are marketed as green just aren’t, and sometimes the ones you’d never expect have an unexpected green effect.
After trying them out, I’m keeping Cascade Platinum Pacs in my kitchen. Why? Here goes:
1. I’m a blogger, and I blog about food. Not so much during my pregnancy, but now? I’m COOKIN’ again! And now that I’m home with the kids every day, I make tons upon tons of dirty dishes. I need something that works, and these pacs do. I’ve tried other dishwashing pacs that claim to be natural, but I have yet to find one that works well. If it works and I don’t have to rewash, that saves resources, and I’m all about that.
2. The majority of the tools and props I photograph in my kitchen are stainless steel or white. White plates, stainless steel bowls and pots, and they can’t be all spotty. With Cascade Platinum Pacs, they’re not…ever. Plus, lots of the things I buy these days come from yard sales, thrift stores and the like. If I like something and it’s a little questionable, I can pretty much trust that Cascade Platinum Pacs will get it clean and looking closer to new. Sparkling clean stuff for .25? I’ll take it every time! Repurposing and reusing is super green in my book.
3. These pacs keep my dishwasher cleaner. It’s amazing, actually, how clean my machine is now. And that means that it runs better and will last longer. Efficiency FTW! Dishwashers in landfills = not green.
4. When I use Cascade Platinum Pacs, I don’t have to prescrub or touch them up after washing. Now that I’m working from home, more than ever, time is money, honey, and the less time I have to spend doing what my dishwasher should have done, the better!
5. After investing heavily in years of research and development, Cascade now delivers phosphate-free formulas across all of their automatic dishwasher detergents.
(5 1/2. I can get these in my local stores! I don’t have a Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods, or many other green-minded retailers near me, and I would hate to have to order my dishwasher pacs online.)
Would I like a dishwasher pac made of berries and rainbows (kind of like my laundry soap?) Sure! But I don’t have that option. So I’m happy to have Cascade Platinum Pacs to help me get my dishes clean the first time, with little fuss, and keep the focus in my food photos on the actual food, and not on spotty dishes. Sparkling clean looks more appetizing every time! Just ask Gail Simmons, Top Chef judge and editor of Food + Wine magazine. She’s partnered with Cascade to discuss why presentation is just as important as preparation.
“The easiest recipes pop with unexpected, gourmet presentations. Drizzle bright sauces on sparkling white plates or layer desserts in crystal-clean glassware. Keep your presentation sparkling with Cascade Platinum, which keeps dishes perfect for anytime entertaining and impromptu guests.” ~ Gail Simmons
To learn more about Cascade’s partnership with Gail, like them on Facebook and check out this clip:
So, are you one of those people who is always snapping photos of their food, like Gail mentioned? If so, put those photos to work for you in the Cascade “My Platinum” Contest. It’s a 4-week contest encouraging fans to upload photos related to weekly contest themes. Show off those sparkly Cascade plates and you could win! Visit the contest landing page for info on how to enter. Each week, two contestants will be selected to receive a brand new Whirlpool dishwasher. Additionally, one lucky grand prize winner will receive a Platinum kitchen makeover!
To win, users have to both register and upload a photo with the #MyPlatinum hashtag and tag @MyCascade. Participants that have not registered will be disqualified from winning.
Each week will have a 6-day entry period where Instagram users can enter the contest with their #MyPlatinum Photo. Cascade will choose two weekly winners and one final grand prize winner after the entry period has ended. Please be sure to include both the #MyPlatinum hashtag and tag @MyCascade in your entries to the contest!
Week 1: My Platinum Plate (Entry Period: 6/3-6/9)
Show us your best dish styled from the sparkling plate up!
Week 2: My Platinum Bite (Entry Period: 6/10-6/16)
Show us your best bite and most creative use of sparkling silverware!
Week 3: My Platinum Clink (Entry: 6/17-6/23)
Show us how you serve up creative concoctions in sparkling glasses. Cheers!
Week 4: My Platinum Table (Entry Period: 6/24-6/30)
Show us your sparkling tablescape for your most special celebrations!
Grand Prize Winner (Entry: 6/3-6/30)
So, what are you waiting for? Get cooking! Good luck!