Yesterday’s Major Mom Fail:
About 10 seconds after I heard my son run down the hall toward his very baby-proofed playroom, I turned to go find him (because I never, ever leave him alone. Not for a minute.)
I was heading down the hallway when I heard a thump behind me, in the kitchen. I thought my husband had come into the house.
I turned to see my son, sitting on the kitchen floor. How did he get over there? I swear toddlers have some kind of magic…
Then I noticed the spray bottle of bug spray. In his hands. Pointed toward his face.
His little face, with tiny droplets on it.
My heart stopped. For a minute, I thought I might throw up.
He looked at me, wide-eyed, surprised. But he did not cry.
He switched gears, smiled, got up and ran past me down to his playroom, and I ran after him, grabbing a towel along the way to clean him up.
Reason #45789203 to go a little greener: Orange Guard Home Pest Control, kills pests on contact with orange peel extract in a water-based formula that is safe for use around food, humans and pets.*
I was horrified that my son had gotten past me, and that I allowed it to happen. I felt like the worst mother in the world, and I’m still beating myself up for it. But, I gotta say, I’m pretty freakin’ proud of myself for making sure the product in that bottle wasn’t toxic. Because toddlers really do have a certain sneaky mischief magic, and accidents happen.
Even so, I’ll be hovering a little more from now on.