Eek! 😯 Here’s a little peek at what my health and beauty arsenal used to look like:
And that’s just a very small sampling of what my bathroom closet used to hold. I have 4 full shelves of this stuff. I might go so far as to call myself a bit of a product junkie.
Our skin is the largest organ in our bodies, and it absorbs anything you put on it. That fact, coupled with the possibility of conceiving another baby in the near future, has inspired my commitment to put only natural, healthy, pure things on my skin.
I guess it was a natural progression for me. How can you work to actively eliminate toxins from your family’s environment and daily food choices without becoming more conscious of the products you’re putting on/into/around your body? After all, as a breastfeeding mama, anything that I come in contact with has the potential of ending up in my breastmilk. 😮
So, shortly before the recent holidays, I decided to purge my bathroom closet of all the things I wasn’t using because I just knew they were doing more harm than good. Happy 2011 = Out with the old, in with the new, right? The only problem: Where do I find the “new”?
There are so many products on the market now that are trying to be the next “green” thing, but most of them aren’t much better than their previous counterparts. Greenwashing is rampant, and, as a consumer, it’s hard to know who to trust.
What about these?
My first step was to simply cut things out. Since the cystic acne I had for years has gone away (woot!), I don’t wear much makeup anymore. I don’t wear perfume, and I have cut way, way back on hair products.
Honestly, if I could just use the vegetables out of my fridge as beauty products, I would. But while an avocado might make a nice face mask, there are some products I just need – deodorant, mascara, lip balm, a good facial scrub…
I’m no longer high maintenance, but I would still like to look and feel somewhat maintained, yaknowwhatimean? I want natural, I want pure, I want organic…but I also want effective and fun. I can’t give up primping altogether… 😉
Which brings me to the first beauty products I’ve ever tried that remind me of a truly healthy organic meal for the skin. I could just float away on the content feeling I get after feeding my body well, and Miessence has shown me that feeding my skin well feels just as good!
Danika from Your Organic Life was kind enough to send me a few sample packets of Miessence certified organic products! Here are my thoughts on each:
- Cleanser – Oops, I forgot to keep the packet so I’m not sure which one I had, but I loved this cleanser. It did not foam up and make suds on my face, but most natural products don’t. It’s one of the hardest things to get used to when switching to non-toxic products. Bubbles do not equal clean!
- Balancing Skin Conditioner – This product is meant to feed nutrients to the skin and provide a hydration base for the moisturizer. The feel was nice, but I found the scent a little off-putting.
- Probiotic Skin Brightener – Meant to break down impurities and bring vitality to the skin. Wow…I’m in love! I just swiped this on after the skin conditioner, and it had a lovely fresh scent that lingered. It totally eliminated the scent of the conditioner, and I loved how it made my skin feel. Glowy, fresh and super healthy!
- Balancing Moisturizer – I have never used moisturizer on a regular basis in my life. I should, but I don’t. Let me tell you, if I had a big bottle of this, I would use it every day. I felt comfortable enough to go out with nothing else on my face after using this moisturizer, and I did not feel greasy or shiny at all. It moisturized my skin flawlessly.
- Intensive Body Cream – Like I said, I’ve never been one to moisturize, and that includes my body (except maybe my feet, but that’s really it.) I just never bothered to do it with any regularity. I used this sample on my legs and elbows and they just drank it up. The scent was nice and light and the cream itself left me feeling soft and smooth.
- Nourishing Hand Cream – A lovely treat to keep at my desk at work. I never realized how un-nourished my hands were until Miessence made them feel so much better!
Miessence products are a little pricier than your average drugstore products, but when I consider how much I’ve spent in the past on Proactiv, chemical peels, and countless other beauty items, the price seems worth it if the goods work. I mean, they are certified organic to international food standards – how great is that!? To give you an idea of how much I liked them, I’ve even checked out their information on becoming a consultant! Hmmm…it’s a thought…
I could have browsed Danika’s site for hours…baby products, cosmetics, oral care, household cleaners, even nutritional supplements – they all looked so tempting. For now, I’m totally coveting the In-Liven Probiotics and the Delicious Gourmand botanical perfume, along with the skin care system and Tahitian Breeze roll-on deodorant. I plan to make them part of my new health and beauty lineup just as soon as I can swing it.
If you’re interested in finding out more about Miessence, visit Danika at Your Organic Life!
The only problem I have now? What do I do with this big bag of toxic beauty stuff I have? I know I probably shouldn’t just throw it in the trash, right? Does anyone have any suggestions?