Still wondering what was in that box I showed you not too long ago? (Here’s a reminder)
Ta-Da! It was a box of coconut water from ZICO! What better way to celebrate The Hydration Project than with a whole box of yummy, natural, coconutty beverages! (And what better way to turn my frown upside down after that traffic jam. Ugh.)
I buy ZICO often, and was thrilled to be able to sample some of their newest flavors.
When I opened the box, I was surprised to see the bottles. I was used to purchasing ZICO in a Tetra Pak container. When I visited their website to see if the bottle was addressed there, I found that they had switched partly due to customer requests and partly because the lifecycle of the recyclable bottle is actually more environmentally friendly than that of the Tetra Paks, which are rarely actually recycled. Hm. Who knew?
(Note: The bottles have never contained BPA, and never will. )
- Zero fat, zero added sugar, and zero cholesterol
- More potassium than a banana or 15 sports drinks!
- Coconut water is so pure and natural that it can used as an intravenous fluid to save lives! Not sure when that might come in handy, but hey, you never know!
- Lower in acid than sports drinks, and contains the five essential electrolytes your body needs. Drink it after a workout to naturally rehydrate in a jiffy!
- As a company, ZICO is committed to bringing their customers a better way to hydrate in a socially and environmentally responsible and sustainable way!
There are several flavors, too! I received the natural, lima citron and pomberry, but I’ve tried them all. Here’s my take:
Natural: Ahhh…call me a purist, but the natural ZICO is my favorite. Pure, natural coconut water flavor with just a hint of sweetness, and perfect for mixing. I love it ice cold.
Lima Citron: I’m not a fan of lime, so I didn’t care much for this flavor. I thought the lime was pretty strong, which is probably good if lime’s your thing. My husband loves it, and he was happy to lay claim to the bottles I had.
Pomberry: I am not sure I’d be able to pick out the pomegranate in this flavor if I didn’t read the bottle, but I think the pom is what keeps it from being too sweet. It’s subtle, and very pleasant.
Passion Fruit: This one is yummy. Perhaps a teeny bit sweeter than I’d like, but yummy nonetheless!
Mango: Of all the flavors, this is my favorite. It tastes like natural mango, but isn’t overwhelming. Love it!
My favorite ways to drink ZICO:
- In the buff (natural flavor, straight up!)
- Mixed with a splash of mango or strawberry nectar
- Mixed with a splash of sparkling water and a few teaspoons of pureed peach
- Check out ZICO’s recipe page to find great recipes, like the Citrus Cooler or the super-fun, minty ZICO-jito! (My husband’s favorite!) I can’t wait to try the Zinnamon Apple Smoothie!
This past weekend, we took a break in the garden, and enjoyed our ZICO with mango nectar, over ice, and an afternoon snack.
Perfect for a summer day!
Have you ever tried ZICO? Would you like to?
Well, you’re in luck!
The folks at ZICO have offered one lucky winner a case of assorted ZICO flavors! Very generous on their part, I think! I’m really excited that one of my readers will be getting such a great prize!
There are a few ways to enter (8 total). Please make sure to complete the mandatory entry first!
- Mandatory entry: Visit the ZICO website and tell me which ZICO flavor you’d like to try, or which recipe you’d like to try. (1 entry)
- Like ZICO on Facebook (1 entry)
- Follow ZICO on Twitter (1 entry)
- Follow me on Twitter (@ABCGP) (1 entry)
- Tweet about this giveaway, and leave the status link for the individual tweet in a comment below. You may do this up to 3 times total. (3 entries)
- Link to this giveaway on your blog, and leave me a link to your post in a comment below. (1 entry)
I will pick a winner at Random.org on Thursday, September 23rd. Winner will be notified via email. If winner does not respond within 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen. This giveaway is open to US residents only.
Good luck, and happy hydrating!